This sea kayaking trip is more suitable for individuals who have some experience in sea kayak multi-day journeying and handling. We have two 14Nm-long days planned in this itinerary. A few logged day-trips or even better multiday trips and even better combined with some participation in some introductory and improvement courses would be more than enough.
Some camping experience is also welcome!
During this 9-day sea kayaking trip we either wild camp or overnight in beautiful apartments* according to our planning (4 nights wild camping / 5 nights’ accommodation including the meeting/arrival and the last day).
2 overnights (inns) at Ag. Nikitas (Arrival day and last paddling day)
1 wild camping overnight on the west coast
1 wild camping overnight at South Lefkada
1 overnight (inns) at Sivota
2 overnights (inns) at Meganisi
2 wild camping overnights at Kalamos
When wild camping, we cook for our dinner, while when staying in rooms, we enjoy Greek cuisine at some of the chosen local tavernas at each place we visit!
- Wild Sea: http://www.wildsea.gr/
- Day_1, Meeting day:
Setting the apartments in Agios Nikitas, where our first night’s accommodation is arranged (details are sent following your booking confirmation) as our meeting place, and early evening as our meeting time, we will have the opportunity to meet the team, as well as discuss, prepare, plan and brief for the following days!
- Day_2, Agios Nikitas – Gialos:
After our breakfast we pack and load our kayaks and then we launch from the scenic village of Agios Nikitas heading south. The very first images of our sea kayaking adventure overflow with the enchanting beauty dominating this part of the island of Lefkada: the first limestone cliffs and beaches of the west coast, along with bright turquoise water and white rocks, paint the idyllic scenery. We enjoy our meals and fruits on beautiful beaches on the way and we reach Gialos beach later in the day where we camp for the night.
- Day_3, Gialos – Vasiliki:
Breakfast and a morning swim at Gialos is the best way to begin the second day of our sea kayaking adventure. Heading to Egremnoi and Porto Katsiki we allow for the time needed to explore every feature with our kayaks, we then follow the amazing coastline, taking our breaks for lunch and swim and we finally arrive at the known venue of Vasiliki village. We enjoy another night under the stars, wild camping near Vasiliki.
- Day_4, Vasiliki – Sivota:
The morning paddle away from our camping spot is rewarding. We are now heading to explore the south stretches of coastline of Lefkada. An enjoyable sea kayaking relatively shorter day is ahead with our destination being the picturesque village of Sivota. We arrive early afternoon at Sivota in order to settle in our rooms and have time for a walk and a drink before dinner.
- Day_5, Sivota – Meganisi:Sea caves! Another exciting stretch of coast is ahead, one with some spectacular limestone caves to be explored as well as some very interesting sedimentary rock formations along the first part of the day. Crossing to Meganisi changes the landscape’s palette to green tones, a relaxing and inviting change. We enjoy our lunch at the beautiful islet of Thilia in the straight between Lefkada and Meganisi and then we are heading to the north bays of Meganisi and Porto Spilia. The beautiful village of Spartochori will be our home for the two following nights and the local hosts are just one of a kind!
- Day_6, Meganisi (round trip):
This is a very flexible day. We plan to either cross and explore Scorpios island, famous for its glory days when it belonged to Aristotle Onasis, or head towards Vathi. After our swim and lunch breaks we head back to Spartochori in due time for a relaxing afternoon.
- Day_7, Meganisi – Kalamos:
Our crossing to Kalamos island starts approximately one hour after our departure from Porto Spilia. The green landscape of Kalamos starts to dominate the scenery as we approach. We enjoy paddling in the emerald waters of the north before we head towards the NE side of Kalamos to reach Myrties beach, where we camp for the night! We set up a wild camp for the night, however we will can allow for some luxury and enjoy our dinner at the local taverna!
- Day_8, Kalamos – Kastos / Kalamos:
We launch from Kalamos following the coastline south towards Porto Leone and then cross to Kastos Island. We explore the beautiful east side of the island heading south to visit the village. We enjoy a lunch break and swimming time along the way and later on we head back to Kalamos for another overnight under the stars!
- Day_9, Kalamos – Lefkada:
This is our longest day in the trip. This day we cross from Kalamos to Meganisi and back to Lefkada. The crossing is completed in two legs. The southwest coastline of Meganisi is stunning with beautiful rock formations, rock gardens and the famous Papanicolis cave. We land in Rouda bay completing this memorable sea kayaking adventure in the Ionian Sea!
The price of this sea kayaking trip includes:
- experienced British Canoeing leader & coach to lead the trip
- all top quality paddling, camping and safety gear
- 4 nights’ accommodation in double occupancy apartments
- All breakfasts (8), all lunches (8) wild camping meals (5), fruits & snacks
During this sea kayaking trip, you shall need:
- Swimming suit(s)
- Sun glasses
- UV protection cream
- Sea shoes / sandals
- Dry clothes
- Personal valuables
- Personal medicines (if needed)
- Extra thermal layers
- Personal toiletries
- Insect repellant
- Extra camping equipment
(At Odysea we use high quality sleeping bags, mats and 2p tents. However you may bring your own or extra equipment if you wish and as far as it fits inside a kayak hatch!)